#09-22 Departing Halifax / London

April 9, 2022 (Day 9/10)

Sadly our last day in Halifax arrived so off we went on the train to London. Fun was had at Kings Cross Station having our photos taken at the Harry Potter Platform 9 3/4.

We quickly dropped our bags at the hotel and headed out for a 3 hour walk around London including Chinatown, Soho Square Gardens where we saw a wee Tudor house reminiscent of Shibden Hall, on & off the tube, changing of the guard at 10 Downing Street, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben and walked along the Thames. 

Our evening began with a lovely dinner with my friend Peter who I met on a 1998 cycling trip in Australia. We have kept in touch all of these years but I had never met his wife Katie. It was as if I had known her all of those years.  Sadly, the dinner was not long enough but they are now living south of London so I will hopefully have the chance to visit them next time.

We dashed off to the Novello Theatre which was 3 minutes away, to see "Mamma Mia", my favourite musical that I've probably seen 8 or 9 times!  The female lead, Mazz Murray had the MOST powerful  voice I've ever heard in Mamma Mia!  

And so our incredible, long planned trip had come to an end when we flew home the next day.  I can't imagine having had a more fantastic travel partner and am SO grateful that she agreed to join me. It really was as trip of a lifetime!  

Thank you Pat Esgate for creating ALBW and allowing me & so many others to make such incredible memories. 💖

I am so grateful to have met so many lovely people at ALBW, many of whom I will keep in touch with.

Walked Saturday: 27,806 steps (18.43 kms)

Walked Sunday: 15,788 steps (10.38 kms)

TOTAL:  253,468 steps (168.25 kms)

 

 

 

  

 

  

   

 

Link to more photos

ALBW 2022 photo book:  https://www.mixbook.com/photo-books/interests/albw-2022-27950766?vk=kwYQJXKmu9FcFf58rgY7


Comments

  1. Hi I just read all the pages of your week in Halifax ,and the pictures the whole thing you reported .It was wonderful Photoes of you at Shibden,piece hall etc,etc,.,
    Annes Journals and her Account books apsolutely wonderful.Thank you so much for doing it and sharing with Anne Lister followers !,it must of taking you a long time to get it all together for us .I'm going to make an extra effert to go next year,and if i can find a budy to go with ,I dont want to go on my own. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Anonymous above, just read thru your trip, quickly…will look at more slowly another time. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing, the summaries of your days, and the great photos. I can just imagine the impact of the Abbey. “The most stunning place,” I think you said. Having seen it only in that phenomenal scene in Gentleman Jack, I can imagine. I felt that way one time, decades ago, when I had an opportunity to spend a couple of weeks in the UK, and one of those days had the privilege of walking into King’s College Chapel, at Cambridge. Will never forget it. Something mystical about such a moment. I also hope to get to Halifax. Like Anonymous, I would benefit by a buddy or group, perhaps. Will see… Am relatively new to GJ, having “found” it not many months ago. And like with many others, it has changed my life, filled my life. I am hoping for season 3 and more, but will surely have enough to read and explore that is out there now about Anne Lister, to keep me going for the rest of my lifetime. Thank you, Katherine! (Came here from Twitter…). Rosemary Lundell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed my blog Rosemary! It really was a magical trip of a lifetime. I hope I can attend ALBW 2023 as there are so many more places I want more time to see and things to do.

      Delete

Post a Comment